Sunday, June 17, 2012

A Slow Week

I should reiterate that my research into my family history is ongoing, and the information I posted last week is merely one side of a long, complicated story.  I don't have any reason to doubt Tootsie's tales about my great-grandparents (her grandparents), but at the same time, I will do my best to find more than one source for each historical anecdote, and, wherever possible, corroborating documentation.  Stories of my ancestors are great, but I want more.  I want to know exactly what they were like, why they came to the States, and where they came from.  Interviewing living relatives will be a huge help in that (and already has been), but as I learned when I worked as a newspaper reporter, every story is better when it includes multiple sources and factual documentation.

That being said, I think my next move is to join Ancestry.com and do a little digging through some records.  That website seems like it'll be helpful, from what I've previewed so far, but I'll probably have to go further because I doubt they will have much information about my great-grandparents' lives prior to their move to the U.S. and their name change.  Exactly what that part of my research will involve is still a mystery to me.  But I'll think about what happens after Ancestry.com once I've exhausted that site's resources.  And I'll post another update once I've gathered new information.

No comments:

Post a Comment