Sunday, June 17, 2012

Marathon

Two weeks ago, my girlfriend ran her third half-marathon of the past year.  She had tried to convince me to do it with her, but I had repeatedly declined, although I was tempted to say yes.  I didn't think I would have enough time to train, and I didn't want excessive running to cause me to go back to being as skinny as I used to be.

Then, in the weeks leading up to her half-marathon, my girlfriend started asking if I wanted to run a full marathon with her later this year, on September 30 (one of her New Year's resolutions is to complete a marathon before the year is over).  I hemmed and hawed for a few weeks, trying to decide if I should give in.  Running a marathon is something I've thought about doing in the past, and it's an achievement I had wanted to conquer.  But so far the closest I've come is a half-marathon two-and-a-half years ago.  Since then, I've run a couple of miles here and there, but I haven't done much of anything to keep up with endurance athletics at all.  Still, I've always had a bit of the runner in me, and I enjoy staying in shape.  I also feel like I get sick less often when I'm running regularly.  But on the other hand, I've been trying for the past year to pack on a few extra pounds of muscle, because I was tired of being scrawny.  And I was afraid if I started running again, I'd end up losing weight.

So, before my girlfriend took her place among the horde of starters for the half-marathon two weeks ago, I made her a little bet.  I said, 'If you finish this race three minutes faster than you finished your last one, I'll run the marathon with you later this year.'  She groaned and pleaded her case.  Knocking off three minutes would be hard, she said.  She didn't know if she could do it.  I, on the other hand, knowing the way she'd been training, and knowing that she tends to push herself harder when she has an incentive, was almost completely certain that she could.  And I'd already made up my mind that I'd join her for the marathon no matter what.  Two hours and nearly twelve minutes later, she came jogging across the finish line--more than eleven minutes faster than her previous personal best.

Since then, I've started my training runs.  They've been short--between three and four miles--but I'm far enough out of shape to necessitate starting small.  I'm already starting to feel healthier than I've felt in a long time, and I'm trying not to worry about getting too skinny.  So far my appetite is strong enough to keep me from withering away; my body is making sure I replenish every calorie burned on training runs.  And I'm still making time for the weight room.  My hope is that I'll be able to balance the running with the gym and proper calorie and protein intake, so that even if I end up losing a little bit of weight, I won't lose muscle and strength.  All-around fitness is the goal.  And finishing in less than four-and-a-half hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment