Friday, June 1, 2012

The First of June

Today was not nearly as cold and dreary as I'd expected.  It wasn't exactly sunny and warm either, but it was tolerable.  I'm not saying the Weather Underground website was wrong, but they weren't exactly right either, because I saw more sun than I'd anticipated.  That's not taking anything away from the Weather Underground, though.  No one can really predict what the weather around here is going to do, because it changes so constantly.  OK, maybe there are a few people who can predict the weather.  But they're probably old men with trick knees who say things like, "Storm's a comin'.  I can feel it in my bones," in a voice that creaks like the ancient porch their rocking chairs sit on.

The rest of us will have to keep an eye on the weather reports and stay prepared by having a raincoat, a sweater, flip-flops, and sunscreen always at the ready.  That's what I'll have to do when I go out of town this weekend.  I'm heading up to Sequim, on the Olympic Peninsula, to cheer for my girlfriend as she runs a half marathon.  We're driving up there, about 2 hours away, on Saturday afternoon.  We'll stay in her parents' RV on Saturday night, and the race will be on Sunday morning.  I'm packing layers of clothing.  I may get chilly standing out there, but that's fine.  There is something good about running a race here in western Washington during this time of year though: While it may not be sunny and pleasant for the lazy spectators, it will almost certainly be cool enough to keep the runners from overheating. Run on!

1 comment: