Saturday, February 26, 2011

St. Patrick’s Day gift ideas. A poem.


It's been a while since I've written any poetry, so I decided to whip up a little something in honor of my Irish ancestors and St. Patrick's Day. Poetry is not my forte, as you'll see below, but this little tongue-in-cheek verse was a fun exercise nonetheless. 

With the greatest of Irish holidays approachin',
I pray you won’t consider it encroachin'
For me to offer a selfish thought.
It’s about what March 17th could be
And how we can stimulate the economy
By exchanging gifts that we’ve each bought.

For starters and in the first place,
Anyone with Irish heritage to trace
Should receive the greatest haul of gear.
Our ancestors put up with lots of shite,
But bribing us will put things right.
So we get two Christmases this year!

I’d start by requesting a plate of green food,
Either dyed or naturally hued.
Health insurance would also be nice.
I’d continue with a plea for some books to read,
But lest you think I be consumed by greed,
I suppose I’d settle for a Coke with some ice.  

Of course this is all just a silly notion,
And I’ve no intent to make a serious motion
Calling for the spoiling of myself and others.
Celebrate the day together, is all I ask.
And I don’t think it's a difficult task
To share some corned beef with your brothers. 
Celebrating St. Patrick's Day 2007 in Buenos Aires with my friend Stew and a porteño partygoer.

No comments:

Post a Comment