Thursday, February 10, 2011

I'm a blog slacker


But I’m not a complete slacker when it comes to writing. I’ve ignored my blog for a few weeks, yes. But I’ve been steadily working on some travel writing that I want to get published. I finished a short (1,200 word) piece about trying on a kilt in front of an audience in Scotland and submitted it to an online travel publication a week ago. I haven’t gotten a response yet, but even if I get rejected there are plenty of other online magazines I can try. And I’m not opposed to further editing my work.
This week I’ve been writing about Istanbul and a walk I took from the European side of the city to the Asian side, crossing the Bosphorus Straight in the process. I originally thought I would just write a brief blog about the experience, but two sentences in, I realized I could develop it further. So that’s what I’m doing. I’m almost done with the first draft of that story, but I’m a little unsure of the direction I should be taking with it so I’ll have some friends look it over and then rewrite it a couple of times before it’s complete. Such is the fun and painful writing process. 
Fuelyourwriting.com

No comments:

Post a Comment