Sunday, May 27, 2012

The Good and The Bad

First, the bad news. I’ve got a long way to go if I want to write a thorough story about how my great-grandparents came to the United States and how the lives of their descendants have played out since then.  Right now, I know very little about these ancestors of mine.  I don’t know how or why they came from Mexico, where exactly in Mexico they came from, or even what their real names were.  I know my great-grandmother was called ‘Moda’ as a nickname, but I’ll have to ask my dad what her real name was, and what her husband’s name was.  Almost all of the family stories I’ve heard from my dad and his siblings involve their generation and my grandmother’s.  It will be interesting to dig further back.

The good news, though, is that there are people willing to help me dig further back, and further into my grandmother’s generation.  My dad and one of his sisters are interested in answering the questions I have, to the best of their ability.  Their knowledge will have some gaps, though, simply because they haven’t been around since the beginning of the story.  But there are some older relatives I can contact later, who I hope can fill in those gaps.  And for the really old stuff, well, I might just have to join Ancestry.com or dig through some records myself.  Wait, are we still in the good news part of this post?  Yes we are, because even though it’ll take some work, this is still sounding like a fun project. A little mystery to solve. 

Next time I write, I hope to have solved the mystery of my great-grandparents’ names. 

No comments:

Post a Comment