Saturday, April 14, 2012

Owning Up


I need to take a few lines here and fess up to something.  It’s nothing too scandalous, but I still need to admit that I was wrong.

Last summer, when one of my coworkers moved here to Bremerton, from New York, the weather was warm and sunny, and just plain pleasant.  But I warned her, saying, “Just wait until October.” And later, “Just wait until November,” and “Just wait until January.”  But alas, with every passing month I’ve been proven too much the pessimist. 

Living here for nearly 30 years has given me a jaded perspective on the weather.  I’ve guarded my heart, because every time I’d gotten my hopes up, the rains would come.  And the cold and the wind would come with them.  Even during the nice weather, I can’t help expecting that, any day now, it’ll start raining and it won’t stop for 6 or 7 weeks.  But this past fall and winter, and now spring, I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the weather.  It’s mid-April now, and it’s sunny.  And over the past few weeks, we’ve had a lot of similarly nice days.  

So I guess I was wrong about the rainy, dreary weather I’d predicted for my new coworker.  I’ve been a curmudgeon.  I’m not going to get my hopes too high, but I’ll at least sit back and enjoy the sunshine.  But it’s still too cold, and I have allergies, dammit. 

Can't complain about the view from the back of my apartment complex. Not bad for WhiteTrashville, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment