Saturday, December 17, 2011

By the Hair of My Chinny-chin-chin

A friend recently advised me that, if I’m having trouble blogging as often as I’d like to, I should try to focus my blog on something I do daily or almost daily.  I thought about it, and something that popped into my head was weightlifting.  Working out has become so much a part of my life that I’m sore nearly every day.  And I like it.  What I don't like is how long it takes to see results.  So now and then I've devised schemes to motivate me to work harder. 

I blogged a few months ago about trying to gain a few pounds by weightlifting.  I came within three pounds of meeting my goal.  That was in the summer.  Then, during the fall, I took about three and a half weeks off from the gym due to travel and a little bit of illness (related to the travel), and lost a lot of my gains.  Then, just before Thanksgiving, I made a little wager with my workout buddy.  One that I’ll probably lose because, just like before, I was a little too ambitious when I made it. 

The deal is, I’m not allowed to shave my face until I gain 10 pounds, beginning with the weight I was at when the bet started.  If I shave before I hit that mark, I owe my buddy $50.  It’s been nearly four weeks and I’m pretty sick of this beard.  It’s more physically irritating than I’d expected, and it cramps the style with the ladies.  I prefer my good old five-day shadow. (It’s a little longer than a 5 o’clock shadow, and it’s sort of my “look.”) Added to that, I’m having more trouble gaining weight than I’d expected. 

I thought that, because I was just getting over being sick, I’d be able to pack on the first few pounds easily.  That hasn’t been the case.  My body still won’t let me gain fat.  It’ll let me gain muscle, but that process is incredibly slow.  While the amount I’m able to lift at the gym has been steadily increasing, my body weight has only gone up a couple of pounds. I may have to accept two things: defeat on the bet, and the reality that meeting my goals will take a lot more time and effort. 

I’ll give the beard another week or so before I make my final decision on whether to keep it.  But as for the present moment, I’m going to eat a sandwich. 

No comments:

Post a Comment