Sunday, January 31, 2010

Uncertain future

(Originally posted Jan. 10, 2010)
I’m beginning to wonder if a career in travel writing is in fact the best one for me. I realize it sounds stupid to say that, just a few weeks after restarting this blog and being all gung-ho about travelling more and writing more during the coming year. But I also realize that just because I love to travel and I love to write, it doesn’t necessarily mean that I have to combine the two for the best possible career. After all, I do have other loves.
I’ve been thinking for a while about what type of work would be the most fulfilling for me, and I’m not sure that selfishly pursuing dreams of travel is the best fit. Yes, I love to travel. I love to write. I love to explore new cultures and cuisines and sights. But I also feel like I’d like to have a little more meaning in my work. A lot of the above seems selfish.
So maybe I can find a career that allows me to explore new places and peoples and languages, et cetera, but also allows me to help people. Or maybe I just need to incorporate that into what I’m doing and striving to do, career-wise. Maybe a little volunteerism? Or maybe I just need to rethink my idea of what I’d like my life’s work to be, and change paths a little.
I’ll keep thinking and praying and reading about it and exploring the ideas I’m having. Then we’ll see what I figure out.

No comments:

Post a Comment