Sunday, January 31, 2010

A new project

(Originally posted Jan. 18, 2010)
Here’s the latest update on my aspirations to become a travel writer: I’m still not sure how exactly I’m going to accomplish my goals, or even if my goals will stay static for long.
There. That’s it.
OK, so there’s more to it than that.
At the beginning of this year, I started a new writing project. But I’m afraid to say too much about it. On one hand, I think blogging directly about it could help me publicize it, which could lead to a small following of readers (since no one is reading this right now) and thus help my career. But on the other hand, I fear telling too many people about it could be dangerous, because my idea is such an original one and I don’t want anyone to steal it.
So for now, let’s just say I have a new idea for a project that will hopefully take me all over the U.S. and at least two other continents, while at the same time giving me something very interesting and relevant to write about. I’ve already begun the project, and now I’m just working on the logistics of finishing it in a timely and cost-effective manner.
But, like I said in my last post, I’m still wondering if my goals for this project and my career will have to change. I have a need to do something meaningful with my life, in a way that makes a positive difference to others and not just myself. My career goals are not necessarily at odds with that desire. But it might be easier to accomplish what I should if I put some of my own career and life goals on the back burner for a while, or at least do a better job of making my goals and God’s goals for me work together. I hope I can at least do that. A selfish life is far too costly and lonely, even when success is found.

No comments:

Post a Comment