Thursday, September 8, 2011

Dinner with an amateur shrink

Last night I had dinner with a couple of friends in Poulsbo and we decided to try and figure out my life.  Well, Melissa tried to figure out my life.  And then I joined in because it seemed like an interesting topic.  Paul provided a few thoughtful insights and observations from the right side of the couch while Melissa guided the discussion from the left.  The result: it’s a mixture of uncertainty and things I already knew.

Even though I’m sure my taste in movies is solid, Paul seemed to be on the fence while Melissa has lost faith in my judgment.   But we did agree that I need to travel (of course) and that I need a girl who loves to travel (and who can also tolerate me and my shiny dome).   As far as other serious life issues go, we’ll probably need a few more dinners to figure things out.

It was nice to talk with some friends who are willing to hear my musings and complaints and shortcomings without me worrying that they have an agenda or that they’ll hear something they don’t like and then force something on me because of that.  They’re still relatively new friends (I knew them first as coworkers, beginning about 7 months ago), so maybe that’s why they seem easy to talk to.  Or maybe that’s only part of the reason.  They’re also just generally easygoing and understanding.  Although I think Melissa has something against guys with shaved heads and she’s not completely willing to admit it.

Anyhow, they also did their best to help me with my weight-gain goals by feeding me plenty of burritos and ice cream, which I greatly appreciated.

2 comments:

  1. I'm totally willing to admit I have a thing against guys with shaved heads. We'll get into that in your next session.

    You owe me $75 for the first one, and $17.50 for the dinner.

    ReplyDelete